Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pioneer at heart

Since I was a little girl in Almo I have played "pioneer". Then it was with Kim, Jackie and Laura in our pretend covered wagon behind the old white house or on the old hay wagon down the barn.(I always wanted to be the "scout"on horseback) More recently it has been with teenagers from our area in a reenactment of the Mormon Pioneer handcart trek. When I was in charge of the Jones family reunion I took it back to Almo and focused on what I could remember of the stories of our family life there.
(I even Lived in Minerva Tiechert's House with her granddaughter when I attended BYU. ) Does all this count to make me an pioneer at heart? I do like to think so.

Pioneering by boat, train, covered wagon, or even forging ahead today is something we do, one step at a time, whether in New York City, Peru, the hot desert, or a mission to Indianapolis, it is all kind of the same- especially from our great grandchilds perspective. Keep on the trail,and don't murmer, (seriously anyway)the destination doesn't seem to matter much-- it is how you stick it out.

I found this that says similar-- only more eloquently


" Understanding Church history helps us understand the importance of what we’re doing by explaining something about the purposes of the Lord at each stage of history. It makes it easier to understand the importance of what we’re doing today. Each decade, each month, and each day is important in building the kingdom, and you get a perspective of that in viewing the months and years already past.
Each day we are confronted with the sensual images of the material side of life. Church history helps us see a more important side, a spiritual side, the eternal values of what goes on in our hearts and minds. It helps us maintain a sense of identity with our roots, with those whose ideas, policies, and suggestions are incorporated in our daily lives. History helps us develop loyalty to our traditional values and institutions, to our families, our leaders, our policies and programs. No individual is complete without history. No family is. And neither is the Church".

Brother L.J.Arrington:

No comments:

Post a Comment